B.A. (UBC), LL.B. (Queen’s)
Lisa`s love for great pie is equally matched by her respect for the law. She believes that good law is necessary to maintain a fair and just society, and that we are all responsible for maintaining good law. She applies this belief to pie also.
Her practice is a blend of administrative, aboriginal and environmental litigation, and advising governmental bodies.
In professional regulatory law, Lisa advises both regulatory bodies and professionals. This breadth of her experience gives her a depth of knowledge that allows her to serve clients with a comprehensive view of their legal issues.
She advises professional regulatory bodies on all areas of their responsibilities including quality assurance, registration, inquiry, discipline, reviews and appeals. In acting for professionals, Lisa has defended them against allegations of misconduct, incompetence, and registration.
Lisa has the privilege of assisting Indigenous governments in asserting the aboriginal rights and title of their peoples. She has a special interest in energy projects and assisting her Indigenous clients in exercising their governance powers to determine whether such projects should proceed.
Her practice also extends to general commercial litigation including a variety of contract disputes (e.g. leases, employment contracts, purchase and sale agreements, and shareholders’ agreements), and tort disputes (e.g. negligence, economic interference, and interference with property).
Significant matters include:
- Reference re: the Environmental Management Act, S.C.C. Court File No. 38682, [concerning proposed amendments to B.C.’s Environmental Management Act – representing Heiltsuk First Nation as an Intervenor]
- College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia v. Health Professions Review Board, 2019 BCSC 539 [Feldman]
- College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia v. Health Professions Review Board, 2018 BCSC 2021 [Dawson]
- Maroofi v. College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia, 2017 BCSC 1558
- Gitxaala Nation and others v. Her Majesty the Queen, 2016 FCA 187 [duty to consult on Northern Gateway Enbridge pipeline]
- Ktunaxa Nation v British Columbia (SCC file 36664; appeal of 2015 BCCA 352) [aboriginal spirituality – intervenor factum]
- Canada’s 2016-2018 Indigenous consultations on the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, the Fisheries Act, the Navigation Protection Act, the National Energy Board Act, the Pilotage Act, and the Oil Tanker Moratorium Act
- Scott v. College of Massage Therapists, 2016 BCCA 180 [interim suspension]
- College of Massage Therapists of BC v. Martin (CMTBC Discipline Committee 2015) [sexual misconduct and penalty decisions]
- Cohen Commission on the Inquiry into the Decline of Fraser River Sockeye Salmon (2010-2011)
- Public Commission on Legal Aid (2010)
- Newman v. Halstead, 2006 BCSC 65 [defamation of professionals]
- Stuart v. British Columbia College of Teachers, 2005 BCSC 645 [competence]
Lisa regularly gives presentations in her areas of practice and writes for the firm’s two blogs. She is a member of the Board of Directors of the University of Victoria’s Environmental Law Centre, and the Law Society of British Columbia’s Credentials Committee. See the firm’s events page here.